Self-Service Help: Resource Market
Q. Social Media Citizenship
What does social media citizenship mean?
The word “citizenship” can mean many things. In the instance of social media citizenship, also known as digital citizenship, it refers to our behavior as members of a digital community. Much like how there are norms that dictate what is acceptable and responsible behavior for members of a geographic community, there are also unspoken “rules” regarding how we can be socially responsible while using social media.
“Most simply, Digital Citizenship is responsible technology use,” - Dr. Josie Ahlquist.
How do I practice social media citizenship?
Social media citizenship can be practiced on many levels, from how you set up your social media accounts, to what content you share on them. Some important elements of social media citizenship include the following.
- Digital etiquette
- Managing your digital footprint
- Media or information literacy
- Digital literacy
- Digital security
- Respecting copyright and ownership of ideas
As students and young professionals, it’s important to think critically before posting online. Here are some examples of questions you can ask yourself next time you use social media.
- Have I checked to make sure that the information I’m sharing is accurate?
- Am I oversharing or violating anyone’s privacy?
- What other organizations or groups do I represent or am I associated with on social media?
- What is my intent in posting this and what is the likelihood that it will be misinterpreted?
- Would I want my current or future employer to see this?
- Does this violate any of my values?
- Am I being respectful of others in my digital community?
HERE ARE SOME RESOURCES…
TO LEARN MORE:
Consider browsing these helpful resources:
WEBSITES AND BLOGS
- What is digital literacy?
- Digital Citizenship: What It Means, How to Teach It, and the Resources You Need
- A Growing Understanding of Digital Literacy
- Promoting Digital Literacy and Citizenship in School
- Digital Citizenship Website
- Ted Talk
Ready to try the next phase? We can help you at any of the STEPS along the way!
Want to chat with someone who can help? Book a consultation today!
This information is brought to you by the Grand Valley Knowledge Market